Our LGBT Employer Support TipsNovember 25, 2020 12:01 pm
1 in 5 LGBT staff have been the target of negative comments from work colleagues in the last year because they’re LGBT.
These YouGov stats are shocking, but not surprising to those of us who’ve experienced it.
And it’s something we at JMC Legal also care passionately about. So here are some tips on how employers can support LGBT workers:
- Have a zero tolerance policy. There should be clear sanctions for homophobia and discrimination. Make sure all staff know and understand what they are.
- Offer inclusion and diversity training. Show managers and staff what abuse and discrimination looks like and how to tackle it in practical ways.
- Recruit and promote diverse candidates. Show you welcome LGBT candidates in job adverts and look at removing potential bias in the recruitment process.
- Specifically support the unique challenges and experiences of trans workers. HR play a vital role in this and can get specific training to help workers who are transitioning.
- Encourage local businesses to join in. Discrimination is bad for business. Show other businesses how you can support each other and reject abusive clients and customers.
Jason Connolly set up JMC Legal Recruitment in 2016 when he was still in his 20s. JMC Legal quickly established itself as one of the big players in the industry and Jason has also become a well-known fixture in the press, offering advice and support.
This post was written by rubenwildeTags: agency, business, careers, employer, Entrepreneur, gay, jmc, jmc legal, jmcpartners, LBGT, LGBTQ, recruiters, Recruitment, recruitment agency, start your own recruitment agency, start your own recruitment business, Support, Tips
Back to Blogs Page